Whilst a beautiful, scenic garden is a joy to look at and to spend time in, we must also be aware that there are a number of dangerous plants and trees that are poisonous if we are exposed to them incorrectly. Therefore, when you're considering which plants, flowers and trees to plant in your garden, you should seek advice from your garden centre or store about which ones are poisonous and how they should be treated, especially if you have young children.
Many garden centres, fortunately, label toxic plants or those that can cause irritation but if, in doubt, you should seek expert advice. Consult LW Tree Care
If you do plant anything which you know contains toxins, be sure that you situate them well away from any vegetable patch or other areas from where you're growing things that are going to be consumed as food.
You should take care not to mix ornamental bulbs like daffodils, tulips and hyacinths with onions and never assume that a plant is safe to eat just because animals or birds might eat it. Toxic shrubs and trees also include yew, rhododendron and laburnum.
If you're weeding around plants that are known to cause skin irritation, make sure you're wearing gardening gloves and long sleeves so that your skin isn't directly exposed to them.
Small children, in particular, can have a fascination for all things that grow in a garden. They're often attracted to brightly coloured berries, leaves and petals and it's not uncommon for them to want to put things into their mouths. You should make them very aware that this can be highly dangerous. Whilst they might only be subject to mild symptoms, some plants are capable of causing severe poisoning so teach them never to put anything they're not sure about into their mouth.